FAQ About Tuition Assistance and Benefits for Veterans and Military

Does New York State offer any veterans tuition awards?

Veterans in New York state who attend college full or part time may be entitled to a New York State Veterans Tuition Award (NYSVTA). To see if you qualify, and for more information, visit "Veterans Tuition Awards" on the website for the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).

How do I apply for New York state veterans tuition awards?
  1. Apply for FAFSA and TAP at http://www.hesc.ny.gov.
  2. Scroll over "Pay" Tab.
  3. Click on "Military" located under "Additional Information."
  4. Complete FAFSA application (federal code 010286).
  5. Complete TAP application (school code 0913).

If you have questions, contact Michael LaBrecque at Michael.LaBrecque@sunyempire.edu, 800 847-3000 ext 2343.

How do I apply for federal VA benefits?
  1. File appropriate paperwork at http://www.gibill.va.gov/. Complete V.A. Form 22-1990 if using VA benefits for the first time or V.A. Form 22-1995 if you used VA benefits previously.
  2. Fax or mail completed form to:
    Office of the Registrar
    Empire State University
    2 Union Avenue
    Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
    Fax: 518 580-0105

If you have questions, contact the Student Information Center at 800 847-3000 ext. 2285 or e-mail: Registrar'sOffice@sunyempire.edu

Can veterans take part in work-study programs?

Student veterans have the opportunity to participate in the university's work study programs. You can find more information on the VA Work Study Program,

Are other financial aid options available?

Our Financial Aid office has information about other financial aid options for veterans and military personnel.