What If I Suspect I Have a Disability?

What to Do and Who to Contact

It is the student's responsibility to determine whether or not a disability is present.

  • If you have not been diagnosed with a disabling condition and suspect you have one, you may want to be tested.
  • The law does not require the university to identify and evaluate students who may have disabilities, nor to compensate students for money spent on testing for the presence of a disability.

Testing for a Disability

Testing for the presence of a disability varies with each disability or medical condition. Here are a few suggestions:

  • Visit your primary care physician and alert him or her to your suspicions. Your doctor may have a list of resources that would be available to you for testing.
  • Contact your local vocational rehabilitation office. For New York state residents, the Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) has offices throughout New York State. They may be able to refer you to other community resources.
  • You can learn more about federal resources at USA.gov Disability Services [this link opens in a new window].
  • Contact any local colleges or universities in your area, particularly those schools that offer graduate degrees in school psychology, if you suspect you have a learning disability. These schools often offer educational testing at a reduced rate because the testing is done by graduate students under the supervision of faculty.

    Several colleges and universities in New York state that operate psychological services centers include:
  • Visit our community resources page for additional information.
  • You also can contact the staff in the Office of Accessibility Resources & Services. There may be suggestions and strategies that can help you in your studies until you are able to obtain a diagnosis. 

Return to Student Handbook or continue to Temporary Disability: What Do I Qualify For?

Contact us

If you have any questions related to disability services, you can find additional information on the community resources and frequently asked questions pages, or you may contact the accessibility resources staff at:

Office of Accessibility Resources and Services
Phone: 800-847-3000, ext. 2244
Fax: 518-584-3098
NYS Relay Service 800-421-1220