Borrowing Books from Other SUNY, CUNY or Public Libraries

Currently enrolled SUNY Empire students and currently employed SUNY Empire faculty and staff can borrow books from the libraries at SUNY and New York state community colleges through the SUNY Open Access Policy. The college has a similar arrangement with CUNY libraries.

You need to know:

  • You will need to bring your SUNY Empire photo ID with a valid student ID number.
    Note: You will also need to get a CUNY open access card to borrow from CUNY libraries.
  • If you do not return items, a hold will be placed on your student account so that you can't graduate or register for classes until you have paid to replace or return the items due. In addition, libraries sometimes refer outstanding debts to the state attorney general's office for collection.
  • Although you can borrow books and use the library's print journals in the building, you will not have access to their online resources (databases) or interlibrary loan service.

Using College Libraries Outside of New York State

If you are outside of New York state, you may want to use the libraries of nearby colleges and universities where you are located.

  • Visitors usually can use the books and journals if they stay inside the building. 
  • Sometimes your borrower's card from your public community library can be used to take out books from college libraries in your region.
  • Contact Ask a Librarian for a letter of introduction request.

Using Public Community Libraries

While public community libraries rarely have the kinds of research materials that college students need, some offer interlibrary loan services to their patrons. Ask at your local public library's information desk.