Military Training and Occupations Evaluations

For complete information on prior learning assessment of military training and occupations, visit chapter 12 of the SUNY Empire Student Degree Planning Guide.

Obtaining Official Military Documentation

In order to grant credit for learning you gained in the military, the college needs to have official copies of your military documents.

NOTE: All documents must be sent from the originating agency directly to:

Empire State University Admissions
2 Union Ave.
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.

Request Official Transcript

If you have attended one of the following institutions, you need to request an official transcript be sent from that institution directly to Empire State University Admissions. These institutions are:

  • Air University
  • Army Command and General Staff College
  • Air Force Institute of Technology
  • Community College of the Air Force
  • Defense Intelligence College
  • Naval Postgraduate School
  • Naval War College
  • Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, School of Medicine.

Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy

If you have served in the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps or Navy, you can obtain your transcript from the official website for the Joint Services Transcript (JST) System. Joint Services Transcripts are available for all service members regardless of separation date. 

Note: You may encounter several layers of warning messages when accessing the JST System, depending on the security settings on your computer.

Air Force

Request Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcripts directly. Veterans with duty prior to 1974, will need to submit their DD-214 Official Certificate of Discharge.

Office of Veteran and Military Education (OVME)

If you are an active-duty, guard, reserve or veteran service member, you may find it helpful to contact the Office of Veteran and Military Education at Empire State University, which can assist you with requesting and reviewing military documentation, as well as provide other information and resources for veterans and military students.

You can reach OVME via email, phone, fax or online at:
phone: 518-587-2100, ext. 2779 or 800-847-3000, ext. 2779
fax: 518-587-5483


For more information see: Individualized Prior Learning Assessment