Transfer Credit

Students may transfer, cross register, and/or earn evaluated credit for up to a combined total of 12 credits for some master's programs (9 credits for the MA in Liberal Studies, MA in Social and Public Policy, MA in Work and Labor Policy, MA in Community and Economic Development, and the MPA in Public Administration), 6 credits into doctoral programs, and up to 3 credits into advanced certificate programs. Students must complete at least 50% of credits toward a degree or certificate program while a matriculated graduate student in the School for Graduate Studies. Individual programs may set lower limits. (See Graduate Transfer, Cross-Registration, and Evaluated Credit Policy for details.)

To be eligible for consideration, transfer credit must be:

  • 5000-level or above for master's programs and advanced certificates
  • 7000-level or above for doctoral programs
  • from a regionally accredited college or university
  • a final grade of B or better
  • related to the student’s program/content area
  • no more than six years old at the time of the student’s admission to the graduate program

A student begins the transfer request process by having an official transcript sent to the Admissions Office (111 West Ave, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 or an electronic copy sent to The student should have a copy of each course syllabus that can share with the academic advisor.

For master’s programs that require a formal degree program (DP), the student discusses transfer credit during degree planning with his/her academic advisor. Proposed transfer credit is listed on the DP.

For all other graduate programs, the student discusses transfer credit with his/her academic advisor and the student completes the online transfer request located in the Graduate Student Center on MySUNYEmpire.